Stop! Keeping Up With the Joneses Who Are in Debt!

Millions of Americans feel they have to keep up with the Joneses and Smiths. Here’s a hint, the Joneses and Smiths are in so much debt they can’t see straight and don’t have the money to buy a new pair of glasses!

Just because people drive SUVs and own $300,000 houses does not mean they can afford it. Look at the housing market. For those who “flip houses” it’s an excellent time to get into the market. Unfortunately, the critics will say it’s a selfish thing to do because people lost their homes and their dreams. Who told people to dig themselves into debt just to keep up with their neighbors? Peoples’ egos can cause a lot of unnecessary damage and drama.

The USA is a country of consumers, there’s no doubt about it. Take a look at the fast food drive-thru lines at lunch time. It’s ironic because people complain about the increase in gas prices, yet they line up to order a Big Mac or Whopper! Eating out everyday adds ups in more ways than one. Peoples wallets shrink and their waistlines expand!

Priorities 101

The Joneses are facing bankruptcy and foreclosure. Remember when mom said “if you can’t afford it, don’t buy it” and “mind your own business.” When people get older they forget mom’s great advice. Instead, people become brain washed by the media that says they need the latest and greatest “it” product or service. They become mechanical and follow the Joneses straight into the bowels of debt and misery.

For example, a car that provides reliable transportation is necessary to get from Point A to Point B. A luxury vehicle and a SUV that gets poor gas mileage is not necessary. Single people do not have to own more than one vehicle. Only one vehicle can be driven at a time. Families could probably make due with two vehicles; one for mom, one for dad. Junior will have to walk, ride a bike, take public transportation, or wait until a vehicle is available.

Jimmy Choo shoes are fabulous but a more price friendly brand of shoe can be just as stylish. Payless ShoeSource has a great selection and often advertise BOGO (Buy One Get One Free). Also, most people only wear 20% of their wardrobe. The other 80% sits in the closet and collects dust. Clean out the closets and donate items to various charities.

How to Avoid the Joneses

Spend money on the things that are needed for day to day living. Do not worry about what other people are buying. It’s none of your business how people spend their money. If they want to dig themselves into a money pit, so be it. Don’t be quick to jump in with them.

As Featured On Ezine Articles


  1. Josh Maxwell says:

    I must say this is a great article i enjoyed reading it keep the good work 🙂

  2. Keeping up with the Joneses is something that I do
    not do. I am from the old school, if you can’t afford it you don’t buy it. I am trying to instill in my 2 grandchildren way’s for them to save their money so that they can pay cash for what they buy. And as they get older they wil be wiser and not try to keep up with new generation of Joneses.

  3. I found your topic “Stop! Keeping Up With the Joneses Who Are in Debt! | Misticcafe” when i was searching for corner wardrobe and it is really intresting for me. If its OK for you i would like to translate your topic and post it on my german blog about corner wardrobe. I link back to your topic of course!

  4. Thanks for the comment. As long as I receive a link back, I have no problem with you translating the article.

  5. Stop Foreclosure Fast says:

    Hi there, stop foreclosure fast info like this and your post regarding eeping Up With the Joneses Who Are in Debt! | Misticcafe are all good stuff!

  6. Was searching all over inet for how to stop foreclosure and got here.Very useful info

  7. I REALLY liked your post and blog! It took me a little bit to find your site…but I book marked it. Would you mind if I but a link back to my site?

  8. Rebecca says:

    Thanks for finding